(Redirected from Jacket potatoes)
Follow the method below and I will guarantee perfect jacket potatoes, every time. Crunchy, crisp skins with perfectly cooked centres.
- Use the right potatoes - see list at the bottom of the page
- Prick them all over with a fork
- Salt them for 2 hours or more
- Wipe off any excess salt.
- Pat them dry on a paper towel.
- Bake for 1 to 1.5 hours
- 4 large potatoes, 275-350 g (10-12 oz ) each (see list of suitable varieties below)
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 220° C (425° F) (Gas 7)
- Wash and thoroughly dry the potaoes
- Prick all over with a fork so there are holes everywhere, this makes it easy for the water to drain and the skin to become crunchy.
- Rub with a little olive oil and lots of sea salt to draw out the water and leave for 2 hours or more.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220° C (425° F) (Gas 7)
- Rinse off most of the excess sea salt and pat dry before cooking. It's job of drawing out moisture from the skin has been done.
- Place on a rack in the centre of the oven until the skins are crisp (1 to 1.5 hours)
- Make a slice lengthwise in the top of the potato, wrap with a cloth and squash it to break up the flesh inside