Gujarati vegetable curry
A spicy, vegetarian curry from Gujarat.
- 60 ml groundnut or sunflower oil
- 1½ teaspoons curry spice mix (1)
- 450 g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 350 g mixed vegetables of your choice, washed and prepared
- 4 teaspoons curry spice mix (2)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 500 ml or more of hot vegetable stock or water
- Coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan to a high temperature.
- Add the curry spice mix (1).
- Fry for a few seconds until the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Add the potatoes, vegetables, curry spice mix (2) and tomatoes.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the hot stock or water, bring to the boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Add more water or stock if necessary.
- Serve, garnished with the coriander leaves.
Add a sliced onion and Crushed garlic if you wish (in which case, fry them before you add the other ingredients). However many Indians do not eat onions for religious reasons, hence the use of asafoetida as a substitute.