Garlic olive oil
Home made garlic olive oil
I have been making this for many years now without any problems, however, I would advise proceeding with plenty of caution and most definitely advise that you read the notes on home-made garlic olive oil and botulism before you even consider making your own.
I leave these notes purely as a personal aide-memoir for my future batches.
Makes about 5 litres of garlic olive oil
- 5 litres of olive oil (extra-virgin not needed)
- 12 garlic bulbs, complete, stalks and outside skin removed - see picture.
- Add the oil to a very large pan, complete with the garlic bulbs.
- Very gently bring the oil to a slow-rolling boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer' for about an hour, gently squishing the garlic bulbs with a potato masher or similar.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes
- Repeat the process above
- Cool and stand 2 hours
- Strain the oil multiple times, finally filter through a muslin cloth
- Store in sterilised bottles - it seems to keep forever.