- 900 g boneless chicken pieces, cubed
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 2.5 cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 bulbs garlic (or to taste), peeled and finely diced
- 16 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in water
- 250 ml water from the soaked mushrooms
- 60 ml soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally in 2.5 cm chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 4 large, or 8 small spring onions, cut into 3 cm lengths
- Put the chicken into a saucepan without oil and stir-fry over moderate heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the sesame oil, onions and ginger and fry for a further couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic fry for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover the pan and cook over low heat for about 25 minutes, stirring from time-to-time, until the chicken is cooked.
The soaking time for dried mushrooms can vary, so please follow the instructions on the packaging.