Couscous, pepper and garlic salad
The peppers and garlic are roasted. Preserved roasted red peppers such as Pimientos del Piquillo de Lodosa are excellent for this recipe and a great time saver. The recipe has no particular country of orgin, but its flavours are a combination of Spanish and Maghreb
- 2 bulbs garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 80 ml olive oil
- 2 large red peppers, roasted and peeled or preserved, and cut into strips
- 380 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 180 g couscous
- 90 g melted butter
For the dressing
- 125 ml Gazpacho ligero con mostaza or tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons harissa
- 60 ml olive oil
- 4 tablespoons herbs, finely chopped, eg. chives, flat-leaved parsley
- Bring the stock to the boil and stir in the cousous.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand until it has absorbed the liquid.
- Return to heat and stir in the butter.
- Allow to cool and add the peppers, garlic and dressing.
- Chill briefly.
To make the dressing
- Place all the ingredients in a jar and shake until blended