Coffee and Walnut Cake
- 125g/4oz Butter
- 125g/4oz Soft brown sugar
- 2 Beaten Eggs
- 225g/8oz Plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 225ml/8 fl oz Strong Coffee
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 75g Margarine
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 300g icing sugar
- 60g Walnuts (finely chopped)
- Further 40g walnuts for topping
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs a little at a time.
- Sift the flour & Bicarbonate of soda and fold in.
- Add the coffee a little at a time. The consistancy should be such that the mixture will drop softly off the spoon.
- Grease a 7in round tin and line the bottom with greaseproof paper.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and place near the top of the oven for 55 - 60 minutes or until springy and brown on top.
- Leave on a rack to cool.
- Make up the icing by mixing the icing sugar with the milk then adding the other ingredients.
- Cut the cake in half and spread icing on top of the bottom layer.
- Place the top layer on top and finish with the rest of the icing and the remaining walnuts.
Good with coffee :-)
The results appear to be good although I need one more trial run to be sure after making a few tweaks to the cooking process. I also might experiment with adding a little more cinnamon.