- 225g (8oz) self raising flour
- 55g (2oz) butter cut into small pieces
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- 150ml (5fl) oz milk or buttermilk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7)
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, add the salt, butter and sugar
- Rub the butter into the flour then add the milk or buttermilk and mix to make a soft dough.
- This can also be done in a food processor.
- Tip out onto a floured worktop and knead lightly.
- Roll out to 2 cm (¾") thick and them cut into rounds with a 5 cm (2") pastry cutter.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk.
- Place onto a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until they have risen and turned golden.