I made this last night and it was fantastic. With butter rather than sunflower oil it would be even better, though no longer suitable as a vegan recipe.
- 75 g popping corn
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of muscovado sugar
- * Brown sugar or even granulated sugar would do at a push.
- Good pinch of salt
- Ideally with a coffee grinder or a small food processor, turn the sugar, cocoa powder and salt to a fine powder.
- On a high heat, heat the oil in a large pan
- When the oil is hot (but not smoking) add just a few kernels of popping corn and close the lid
- When they pop, your oil is ready, tip the rest of the popping corn into the oil and quickly close the lid
- Holding the lid with oven gloves, shimmy the pan so the corn will be covered with the oil
- When all of the activity has ceased, remove the lid and pour into a large bowl or lidded container.
- Sprinkle in the chocolate powder, cover and and shake well to mix.
Go to our popcorn recipes page
Not all supermarkets seem to sell popping corn. If you are having a job locating it, most health food shops sell it. Our local Waitrose also stocks popping corn in various sized packets.