Chilaquiles are a traditional Mexican dish. Typically, corn tortillas cut in quarters and lightly fried are the basis of the dish. Green or red salsa or mole, is poured over the crisp tortilla triangles, called totopos. The mixture is simmered until the tortilla starts softening. Eggs (scrambled or fried) and pulled chicken are sometimes added to the mix. The dish is topped with cheese (typically grilled chihuahua cheese ) and/or sour cream (crema), and it is served with refried beans. Like many dishes, regional and familiar variation are quite common.
- 10 corn tortillas cut up in triangles (tortilla chips)
- ½ Cup of Oil
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- ½ Onion
- 4 Medium Size Tomatoes
- 3 chilli peppers (I suggest Chile Serrano)
- * Serrano is classed as a hot chilli if you are looking for an equivelant
- 1 Cup of sour cream
- 1 Cup of grated chihuahua cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 Medium level teaspoon of salt.
- On a deep frying saucepan fry the tortillas
- On a saucepan toast the tomatoes, chilli peppers, onion and garlic. Liquefy the tomatoes, salt, chilli peppers, onion and garlic.
- As the tortilla is frying add the sauce.
- Let the tortilla soak into the sauce but make sure the chips don't get too soft.
- Add the chihuahua cheese and it will melt with the heat.
- By Catalina Garcia and Ale Angeles from Mexico
- Tortillas: - Encyclopeadic page describing all variants of tortillas
- South American tortilla recipes - :
- Corn tortilla recipe - make them from scratch with masa harina
- Corn tortillas - a Thermomix recipe
- Wheat flour tortilla recipe
- Gorditas - Thick Mexican tortillas
- Quick tortillas - a recipe idea for using left over tortillas
- Burrito (or taco de harina) explained
- Enchiladas - a recipe and an expanation
- Homemade tortilla chips - Make superb tortilla chips from soft corn tortillas - better than anything you could buy!
- Cheese nachos - A cheese nacho recipe
- Frito pie - If you like Tex-Mex, you'll love this
- Easy frito pie - Make Frito pie-on the hoof!
- Sincronizada recipe - A Mexican speciality that can alos be found all over South America
- Quesadillas - A selection of quesadilla recipes
- Dobladas - Stuffed tortillas from Guatemala
- Enfrijoladas recipe - tortillas stuffed with re-fried beans and spices
- Chilaquiles - a fabulous recipe from two Mexican visitors
- Tostadas de guacamole y crema - A famous Diana Kennedy recipe
- Cheese pupusas - a stuffed tortilla from El Salvador
- Pupusa de Chicharron - similar to pupusas, again from El Salvador
- Spicy lamb tortillas - A recipe idea taken from crispy duck pancakes
- Duck fajitas - and a similar version, with crispy duck
- Spanish tortilla recipes:
- Capricorn, pea and mint tortilla - A Spanish-style tortilla with goats' cheese
- Potato and goats' cheese tortilla - Another Spanish-type with goats' cheese
- Tortilla Española - A Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla capuchina - another Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - A spicy Spanish tortilla
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette - Spicy, with squash & Greek cheese
- Omelettes - Many omelette recipes
- Misc. tortilla recipes:
- Tortilla press - The device and also a great tip for making them without a press!