Chickpea and bean curry (V)
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cm ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 40g oil
- 350 g tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can chopped tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 x 350 g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 350 g can flageolet beans, rinsed and drained
- 450 ml vegetable stock
- Juice from ½ lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bunch of coriander leaves, chopped, discard the stems
- Add the ginger, garlic and onion to your food processor and blitz to a smooth purée.
- Heat the oil in a wok and add the puree, tomatoes and spices and stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add about 3/4 of the stock, lemon juice, salt and pepper, chick peas and flageolet beans, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Top up with stock if it starts to dry out too much.
- Test seasoning and serve, garnished with chopped coriander leaves.