Chicken stock (2)
- 1 kg of mixed bones (I used about 1.3 kg of frozen bones)
- 400 g each (after cleaning and peeling) of leeks and carrots, cut into chunks
- Few sprigs of parsley
- Celery leaves and celery - quantity depends on how leafy your celery is
- 6 bulbs of garlic, separated into cloves but not peeled.
- 4 bay leaves
- 12 white peppercorns
- 6 blades of mace
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 3.5 litres bottled or filtered water - this reduces the need for skimming
- Place all of the ingredients in a large stockpot.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 3.5 hours.
- Strain through a colander.
- Strain again through a colander which has been lined with cheesecloth.
- Return stock to washed out pan and leave until cool.
- Place in fridge overnight and then remove the fat which will have hardened on the top.
- Bring to the boil again and allow to cool somewhat.
- Pour into 4 Lock&Lock or other containers and allow to go completely cool.
- Refrigerate for several hours.
- Remove any surplus fat that may and will have risen to the surface, then freeze.
- When you come to use the stock, filter it again, using the method given for ice filtered consommé.
The trick to making crystal-clear stock: Ice filtered consommé