- 225g (8oz) self raising flour
- 55g (2oz) butter cut into small pieces
- 25 g (1 oz) Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated and cut into small pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- up to 150ml (5fl) oz milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 level teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1/2 level teaspoon of mustard powder
- 1/2 level teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7)
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, add the salt, chilli, mustard powder and butter.
- Rub the butter and into the flour then mix in the cheese and egg yolk.
- Add enough milk or buttermilk, a little at a time, mixing to to make a soft dough.
- This can also be done in a food processor.
- Tip out onto a floured worktop and knead lightly.
- Roll out to 2 cm (¾") thick and them cut into rounds with a 5 cm (2") pastry cutter or hand-roll them into balls for a more rustic looking scone..
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk.
- Place onto a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until they have risen and turned golden.