Cheese, garlic and chili mayonnaise
This recipe is very loosely based on almogrote, a cheese and garlic sauce from La Gomera in the Canary Islands.It is made with a food processor, not a pestle and mortar, and uses jarlsberg cheese.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of sherry vinegar
- 230g of Jarlsberg cheese
- 6 fat garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon of paprika powder
- 1 dried Chile de Arbole, ground to powder in a coffee grinder
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Blend the cheese, garlic, salt, paprika and powdered chili in a food processor with a blade to a rice-like consistency.
- Add the egg yolk and sherry vinegar and drizzle the olive oil very slowly into the running blender as though making mayonnaise.
- If it splits, another egg yolk or a teaspoon of warm water will normally rescue it.
- A huge variety of different mayonnaise recipes