Cabáiste agus bagún (Cabbage and bacon)
- 1 large Savoy cabbage, cut in half
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 4 cloves
- 4 allspice berries
- 280-300 ml hot chicken or ham stock
- Boil the cabbage in salted water for 15 minutes.
- Drain and plunge into cold water for about a minute.
- Drain well and cut into slices.
- In a flameproof casserole or saucepan, make a layer with half of the bacon rashers.
- Cover with the cabbage, season, add the spices and enough stock to cover.
- Place the remaining four bacon rashers on the top. and cover.
- Simmer for about an hour until most of the stock has been absorbed.
Any cabbage will be fine (even red) depending on what is available.