Bread and butter pudding
Mrs Beeton's bread and butter pudding.
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 8 slices of stale white bread from a smallish loaf
- 50 g (2 oz) currants
- 10 g (1/2 oz) mixed candied peel
- grated zest from half a lemon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 60 ml (2.5 fl oz) double cream
- 275 ml (10 fl oz) full cream milk
- 50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Pre-heat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4)
- Lightly grease a backing tray with butter.
- Leaving the crusts on, butter each slice of brad and cut into eight pieces.arrange a layer of bread and sprinkle with half of the currants and candied peel.
- Arrange the remaining bread and sprinkle with the remaining currants and peel.
- Add the double-cream ,milk, sugar, lemon zest and beaten eggs to a bowl and whisk together well.
- Pour this mixture over the layered bread, sprinkle with a little freshly grated nutmeg and bake for 40 minutes.