Bigos (Cabbage and meat stew)
This stew is considered by some to be the national dish of Poland.
- 900g sauerkraut, drained
- 900g white cabbage, shredded
- 225g bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 cloves (or more) garlic, crushed
- 225g smoked ham, cubed
- 225g smoked pork, cubed
- 225g beef or venison, cubed
- 450g Polish sausage, sliced into 1cm pieces (see Chef's notes below)
- 60g dried mushrooms
- 4 pitted prunes, chopped
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 litre of vegetable or beef stock
- Simmer the sauerkraut and cabbage until soft, then drain. Meanwhile, fry the bacon and set aside, reserving the fat.
- In the bacon fat sauté the onions and garlic, and brown the remaining meat except the sausage.
- Mix all ingredients (except the sausage) in a large pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Add the sausage 30 minutes before the end of the cooking times.
This can be made in a slow cooker, set on "low" for 7-10 hours.
The usual sausages in this recipe are wieska, tuchowska or kilometrova.