Bierkäse (Mild) cheese
- Bierkäse (Mild) is produced in the southern part of Upper Austria. It has been known in Austria and several alpine valleys in Bavaria since the
- 17th century. Due to a lack of fat at the time, cheese was mostly made with
- skimmed milk. In order to give it a stronger flavour, the use of salt was increased
Aroma and taste
Strength and texture
- This mild cheese is matured for just 4 weeks. Firm texture with numerous small holes and rindless.
Shape, weight and size
- Packs are 13cm x 9cm x 3cm, and weigh about 400g. Cheese slices are available in resealable packs at 150g. A whole block weighs 1.8kg
Light yellow in colour the cheese has a shelf life of 45 days.
Errors and omissions
If you are a cheese producer and your cheese does not appear to be listed on Cookipedia or the information on your cheese is incorrect or out of date, please do talk to us via the Contact the Editor link at the top of this page and we will update the information on your cheese.