Besugo relleno (stuffed bream)
Stuffed sea bream, served throughout Spain as a dish for St Valentine's day. However, bream in general is a tradtional Christmas Eve first course.
- 1 bream
- 2 eggs
- 100 g ham, cut into small pieces
- 50 g almonds, skinned
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 50 g raisins
- 2 potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 6 tablespoons oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A dash of white wine
- ¼ litre fish or vegetable stock
- Cut the bream in half lengthways, and remove the backbone.
- Hard-boil one egg, and whisk the other one. Chop the boiled egg.
- Mix the ham, the hard-boiled egg, almonds and parsley with a tablespoon of bread crumbs, the beaten egg, pine nuts and raisins.
- Stuff the bream with this mixture and hold together with cocktail sticks.
- Season fish with the salt.
- Place the potatoes in an oven-proof dish lie the fish on the top of them.
- Sprinkle the whole thing with oil, lemon juice, wine and broth and finally the remaining breadrumbs.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes at 180 C/350 F/Gas 4.