Batatas harras (Lebanese spiced potatoes) (TM)
Chunks of potatoes, fried with garlic, chilli and coriander leaves.
- 900 g potatoes, peeled and chopped into small, even chunks
- 160 ml olive oil
- 1 bulb garlic
- Fresh chillies to taste, finely chopped
- 70 g coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Peel the garlic in the TM by separating into cloves, cutting off the roots and processing at Speed 4 / Reverse Blade / 3-6 seconds.
- Remove the skins and chop the garlic for 2-3 seconds / Speed 4.
- Remove from the bowl and reserve.
- Place the Butterfly in the bowl.
- Heat the oil in the for 3 minutes / 100 degrees / speed 1.
- Add the potatoes, and cook on Speed 1 / 100 degrees / 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chillies and cook for 5 minutes / MC off adding the coriander for the last minute.
- Remove the Butterfly and serve.
They will go with practically any Lebanese dish, but I also like them on their own as a snack or even for breakfast!
It is difficult to judge the amount of chilli to use, so you must try to work out for yourself how much you need. The norm would be about 3 medium strength chillies. I never bother removing the seeds. Avoid using chilli powder for this recipe if possible.