Avgolemono (Chicken and lemon soup)
Chicken, egg and lemon soup, which is the national soup of Greece.
- 2.5 litres strong chicken stock
- 125 g long grain rice
- 5 egg yolks and 3 egg whites, beaten with a little salt
- Juice of 2 large lemons
- Bring the stock to the boil, reduce heat to low and add the rice.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the rice is cooked.
- Add the lemon juice to the eggs.
- Drain off some of the stock into a jug and pour it into the eggs a little at a time, beating constantly.
- Pour the mixture back into the soup and heat through VERY gently.
- It should thicken a little, but do not allow to boil or it will curdle.
Serve with a good country bread.