- 450 g (1 lb) spinach.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- 2 teaspoons whole black mustard seeds.
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced.
- 4 cloves of Garlic, peeled and crushed.
- 2.5 cm (1") ginger root, peeled and julienned.
- 675g 91.5 lb) waxy potatoes - new and salad potatoes are good. Pink fir apples are brilliant in this dish and do not need peeling.
- 1 teaspoon hot chilli powder, or to taste.
- 1 green chilli, de-seeded and cut into rings
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 120 ml water
- Blanch the spinach in boiling water for 4 minutes.
- Drain and allow to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze with your hands to remove the remaining liquid.
- Cut the potatoes into 2.5 cm (1") chunks.
- Heat the oil in a high-sided saucepan, add the mustard seeds and fry for 2 minutes until they start to pop.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, chilli powder and slices, pour in the water and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Add the spinach, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are to your liking.